His Royal Highness ThePrince of Wales, who is Royal Patron of Painshill Park Trust, recently visited Painshill, in Surrey, to view the ongoing restoration of the 18th-century landscape.
His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales, who is Royal Patron of Painshill Park Trust, recently visited Painshill, in Surrey, to view the ongoing restoration of the 18th-century landscape, and to unveil a plaque commemorating the rebuilding of the historic Five-Arch Bridge.
The Prince of Wales met many of the staff and volunteers who have been contributing to the transformation of Painshill since his last visit in 1995, and joined them in celebrating the 30th anniversary of the founding of the Trust. Mr. Gordon Lee-Steere DL, the Vice Lord-Lieutenant of Surrey, greeted His Royal Highness and introduced Lady Hamilton of Dalzell DL, President of Painshill Park Trust – whose family’s ancestor The Hon. Charles Hamilton created Painshill in the mid 1700s.
The royal tour began in the walled garden, where His Royal Highness was shown exhibits about how Charles Hamilton obtained rare exotic plants for Painshill. The tour then visited the restored vineyard, still producing sparkling wine from vines similar to those planted in the 18th century. His Royal Highness was introduced to Painshill staff members and volunteers, and to teachers and children from nearby Horley Infant School.
The Painshill Park Trust, which celebrates its 30th anniversary this year, was formed in 1981 to restore the 158-acre landscape garden. Charles Hamilton created the garden between 1738 and 1773, inspired by Renaissance art and his tours across Europe.
After three decades of significant restoration, Painshill is now Grade I listed and currently welcomes 75,000 visitors every year. More than 100 volunteers, including women prisoners from the nearby HMP Send, are involved with the ongoing restoration.
The Vice Lord-Lieutenant of Surrey, Mr. Gordon Lee-Steere DL, said: “We are delighted that His Royal Highness has come to Painshill to see the quite extraordinary restoration work that has taken place since his last visit here – and to meet some of those whose dedication and hard work has made it possible.”
The Prince finished his tour by unveiling a plaque to commemorate the start of rebuilding the Five-Arch Bridge. This is being funded by the Monument Trust, and is a key focus of the Painshill Restoration Programme, as replacing the bridge will allow water to flow freely through the entire lake and thus restore Hamilton’s long lake vistas.
For more information about the restoration, and details about visiting this gorgeous 18th-century landscaped park and gardens, visit www.painshill.co.uk.