As Her Majesty The Queen turns 91 years old, here are 10 things you might not have known about Elizabeth II…
Think you know everything there is to know about our reigning monarch? Then why not test yourself with our list of 10 facts?
1. The Queen is the 40th monarch since William the Conqueror became King of England in 1066.
2. The Queen was born on 21 April, 1926, but her official birthday is celebrated in June.
3. The Queen has been at the saluting base of her troops in every Trooping the Colour ceremony since the start of her reign, with the exception of 1955, when a national rail strike forced the parade’s cancellation.
4. Every year The Queen sends Christmas trees to Westminster Abbey, Wellington Barracks, St Paul’s Cathedral, St Giles and The Canongate Kirk (Edinburgh), Crathie Church, and local Sandringham schools and churches.
5. The Queen is the first British monarch to have celebrated a Diamond Wedding Anniversary.
6. The Queen’s platinum and diamond engagement ring was made by jewellers Philip Antrobus Ltd, using diamonds from a tiara belonging to Prince Philip’s mother.
7. The Queen sent her first email in 1976 from an army base.
8. The Queen has sat for over 130 portraits during her reign, painted in a variety of styles.
9. The Queen has owned more than 30 corgis during her reign, starting with Susan who was a present for her 18th birthday in 1944. Her Majesty currently has two corgis – Willow and Holly.
10. The Queen is the longest reigning monarch in British history — overtaking Queen Victoria’s record.
|Click here to subscribe!