The Bishop’s Palace at St Davids in Pembrokeshire celebrates success at European Conservation awards.
The major conservation project at The Bishop’s Palace St Davids, Pembrokeshire in south-west Wales, has scooped a prize from Europa Nostra, the Pan-European Federation of Cultural Heritage. The awards at Istanbul, for outstanding examples of heritage protection in Europe, were to the 16 finalists selected from 80 competitors.
A special plaque, pictured at its installation in the palace by Dr Kate Roberts, Inspector of Ancient Monuments for CADW, Alun Ffred Jones, Minister for Heritage and Mr Wynford Evans CBE representing Europa Nostra, was awarded to the palace as an outstanding example of conservation.
St Davids Palace sits within the defended permineter of the cathedral precincts in the city of St Davids. The surviving buildings date chiefly from the 13th and 14th centuries, particularly the work of Bishop Thomas Bek (1280-93) and Bishop Henry de Gower (1328-47). De Gower’s celebrted arcaded parapet is one of the highlights of the site.
Further information at: www.cadw.wales.gov.uk.