The Prince of Wales turns 65 today.
Believe it or not, this little chap is the Prince of Wales as a baby, sitting on his mother’s lap. Today, he turns 65 while on a tour of India with his wife, the Duchess of Cornwall. To celebrate his big day, we bring you a selection of extraordinary facts about the heir apparent.
1. At his fourth birthday party the band of the Grenadier Guards played The Teddy Bears’ Picnic, Charles’s favourite song, in Buckingham Palace courtyard.
2. As a little boy at Balmoral, Charles would climb into the empty bath and put his ear to the plughole so that, via the plumbing, he could eavesdrop on the adults’ conversation.
2. He is a keen watercolour painter.
3. His Prince’s Trust was started with the severance pay he received when he left the Navy in 1976.
4. He published a children’s book in 1980. The Old Man of Lochnagar was originally written by Charles for his younger brother Prince Edward.
5. He hates modern architecture and once described a proposed extension for the National Gallery as a “monstrous carbuncle”.
6. At 14, while at Gordonstoun School, he tried to order a cherry brandy in a bar. He said it was the only drink he could think of.
7. He speaks both Welsh and Arabic.
8. He loves Harry Potter books and films.
9. He is the longest-serving heir apparent.
10. His full name is: His Royal Highness Prince Charles Philip Arthur George, Prince of Wales, KG, KT, GCB, OM, AK, QSO, PC, ADC, Earl of Chester, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles and Prince and Great Steward of Scotland.
|Click here to subscribe!