This splendid pocket ofBritain boasts picturesque villages, stunning coastline, and the largest tract of heathland in the UK – the New Forest. We run down ten of best places to visit in Hampshire
1. Mottisfont Abbey, run by the National Trust, sits near the River Test and has gorgeous gardens.
2. Jane Austen’s House Museum in Chawton is a must for fans of the Sense and Sensibility author.
Jane Austen’s House Museum
3. Hayling Island is on Hampshire’s border with West Sussex and is the perfect spot to while away the hours on a beautiful beach.
4. The Vyne, near Basingstoke, is one of the great Tudor country houses.
5. Montagu Arms Hotel in Beaulieu Village is a bit of four-star luxury in the heart of the New Forest.
6. Explosion! Museum, in Gosport displays the history of naval firepower. The scrub covering the ramparts of a nearby eighteenth century fort is currently being removed by a herd of goats.
7. South Downs National Park stretches all the way to Eastbourne in East Sussex and can be accessed through Winchester.
8. Oakley Hall, near Basingstoke, is an exquisite hotel. It was once owned by the Bramston family and the Mansfield Park character Lady Bertram was based on Mrs Bramston.
9. Portchester Castle is a medieval stone fortress lying on the edge of Portsmouth Harbour, popular with anglers and picnickers alike.
10. Hinton Ampner, near Alresford, is an amazing country house that was remodelled into a twentieth century masterpiece by Ralph Dutton.